Our goto 3D Aerial mapping died in Oct 2020. So, what do you use then? All embedded 3D aerial maps in our past article have also gone dead with their site going down. We were just wondering if they were brought into DJI and is now the DJI Terra….anyway…
We went back on DroneDeploy and tested a new one, MapsMadeEasy. Here’s what we found. We tried a couple of local installable one too so you are not being slaved to any of these cloud-based service. If they abruptly closed down, you’re left high and dry with all models lost.
We used a 14 day trial license and test out 2 missions.
- The compare function is awesome
- Hosting provided
- High price
DroneDeploy Comparison Tool
The same images taken using the DD app was fed into the MapsMadeEasy cloud engine.
Generation of the model isn’t as good or accurate but it could be that there were lesser images allowed.
- Fairly Priced
- PDF 3D model export is useful for clients who has minimal knowledge on photogrammetry
There are a lot more options out there but from entry to market to professional views with hosting to local ones that do not tie you to any cloud based application AND do not cost you the cost of a few drones, we hope the above covered them all.
If you’re interested, you can find a list of more.
- Pix4D Mapper photogrammetry
- AutoDesk ReCap photogrammetry
- SimActive Correlator3D™ software
- Maps Made Easy orthophoto and 3D models
- 3DF Zephyr photogrammetry software
- PrecisionHawk 3D map software
- Open Drone Map photogrammetry
- ESRI Drone2Map for ArcGIS