It’s been a while since we built a hexacopter. We’ve chosen the Hobbyking 650X6 for it’s affordable price. This will be more for use to lift heavier loads with redundancies.
When folded this hex is 9250mm with 10 inch prop from center motor to opposite center motor.
680mm motor center to motor center and width 340mm when folded.
When opened and ready to fly, it’s 680mm than the named 650mm X6.
Above: No love for the 650X6, not even a box. It comes in plastic bags. You pay for what you get. It’s only USD $29…
One page instruction.
Tubes are 15mm x 15mm
Above: Design of the motor mounts. Cumbersome and hard to install thus we only installed only 2 of them…it lead to bad choices. See flight video at the end.
Motors fitted, Emax 2213 with 10 inch prop. Going to run 4S on this.
Above: Note the mounting of the horizontal bars under the hex for these are about 71mm center to center of hole on the rubber.
Above: Messy cabling, get it flying first. Tidy up later.
– Hobbyking 650X6
– Emax 2213 motors
– Gemfan 10 inch propellers
– 4S 5200mha Multistar
– DJI Naza M V2 with GPS, miniOSD
– Frsky D4R II
Nothing broken but one motor came off during flight. We did hear some wierd sound thus the really low flying and came close to take a look…then flew out and the motor came off. Time to install more of those cumbersome nylon poles.
This is it! The ImmersionRC Xugong 10 was just about everything we were looking for.
When we got it, we built it immediately within a few hours. You know the stars align when all your parts from different sellers arrived on the same day! The Xugong was from ReadyMadeRC (links below).
– Emax 2213
– 20A ESC SimonK from MyRCMart
– DJI Naza M V2
– Boscam 400mW Video transmitter
The Xugong only IRC T-NUT. More info below from the documentation.
Bottom you go for the time being.
Size compare test. On the left is the Aliencopter 430mm from Hobbyking
Open your wings…arms, 10 inch propellers.
Almost done. Load up the SJ4000, GPS, video transmitter and lipo
Yes, the 10 inch props will be in the camera view when mount this way. The slight downward tilt will help.
Short clip of first flight
– It’s size! Just LOOK AT IT! It’s about 26mm (with a little Turnigy 3S 2650 sticking out, measurement include the sticking out of the lipo and rubber band mounted SJ4000 but do not include the VTX antenna we have sticking way back) x 23.5mm x 12.5 high (include the prop nut of the Emax 2213) when folded.
– Innovative folding mechanism with spares (plastic thingy and springs)! In case you damage it or wear it out. We could also say they foresee it wearing out fast? Time will tell.
– Well though out location for your electronics. A dangling bracket for your video transmitter (VTX) that won’t cause interference since it’s all the way outside.
– Cute rubber “landing gear”.
– Already drilled holes for your GPS folding or non folding (that came with your Naza) antenna.
– Material. FR4? It’s fiber glass that’s reinforced. Read: Harder fiber glass? Give us carbon fiber!
– Unable to load out 4S 5000mah into the lipo compartment. Battery compartment is about 29 x 52 x 114mm deep (We’re a little more conservative), see below for officialbattery compartment measurements. Yep CM! We’re METRIC! The documentation does inform that “Zippy Compact 4000, 25C PREFERRED”
However the Zippy is listed a: 43 x 20 x 148mm (too high and too long anyway)
– No space without some serious modification to mount a front mounted gimbal. It does provide you with a servo based front gimbal. If you already own a brushless one like us (We have 2 Tarot T2-D gimbals), you need to do some mods.
In our quest to finding the ideal small, foldable, runs 10 inch props, 4S 5000 or more. Can lift a gimbal. This has got to be the closest yet! We see us travelling with this a lot more, even overseas!
– Mod the tarot gimbal to front mount.
– Add tilt to receiver
– Mod height of battery compartment or
– Move everything into the battery compartment and just hang the lipo underneath, if so,
– Mod new landing gear. Some retractable?! Just so it looks cool
– Add more LEDs! lol
– Get the Version 2 Pro! As of writing, out “soon”. Video of V2 below. As of writing, it’s been 2 months of “coming soon”.
4 Jan 2015
Swop to 2217 800kv motors
The base touches the arms’s base.
Nothing a dremel can’t fix, drilled the provided standoff.